Why is the procedure performed?
- Recurrent infections
- Chronic infection
- Purulent nasal discharge
- Adenoid enlargement with obstructive symptoms
- Recurrent middle ear infection
How is the procedure performed?
- In the operating room under general anesthesia
- Usually done as an outpatient procedure, unless complex medical problems exist
- Pre-op labs may be required
- Chest x-ray and EKG are required if patient is over the age of 50 and heart or lung problems exist
What should I expect?
- Pain lasting 10-14 days in adults or only a few days in children
- Difficulty wallowing
- Minor bleeding
- Grayish discoloration of the throat
What should I do after the surgery?
- Take antibiotics and pain medications given by the doctor
- Slowly advance diet as tolerated
- Drink cool liquids (water, milk, low acid juices, ice cream, Jell-O) during the first day
- Call the doctor if unable to drink liquids
- Go to the emergency room immediately if clots of blood occur
- Return for follow-up in 10 days